Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Engine Swap

I wanted to leave the engine/tranny swap post last because it was one of the more important things.
As you might have seen in the first post on this blog, the engine on the car was a piece of poop. The car had more oil leaks than horsepower. I went with a L20b engine and a dogleg 5 speed tranny. The L20b was boughten off a friend for very cheap. It had been previously been rebuilt by him using OEM gaskets and pistons. The L inside the name is the series. The 20 stands for the 2L displacement the engine consists of. And the "B" was added to not confuse it with another engine called the "L20", which was an I6 dual over head cam engine, that came in Skylines in the 70's. After buying the engine, I cleaned it up a bit(refer to cleaning section of blog).  My mentor did almost all of the swap himself. The only thing I did was change one gasket at home. According to my mentor, the swap only  took about 4 hours to do. Half of that was disconnecting wires, draining fluids, and prepping to lift the engine.

Since the engine we swapped in was identical to the old oil spilling pos engine, the swap did not take long. The longer part was installing the transmission. We had the transmission rebuilt by a shop in Oakland.  My mentor had to grind out a little square in order for the tranny to sit flush and not hit anything.

The following picture is a picture of the old engine.

This picture was from the week I got it. You can tell that it was a piece of sh!t at first. It also ran like crap too. The carburetor bogged a lot as it was old and worn out. However, we did purchase a new 32/36 electric choke carb online a while back in Junior year. I had then gotten a couple of things done to it. I took it to a local shop that also works on Datsuns. I had a valve adjustment done there. As I l mentioned before, there was a large oil leak in the engine, the mechanic suspected that the fuel pump was the issue because there was signs of oil dripping from it. We changed the fuel pump gasket and spacer, however that didn't solve the problem. Here are some pictures of the replacement of the parts. 

Here are pictures from the swap, we used a forklift because we didn't have a cherry picker!

I chose this entry to be last because it was something that I believed was very important!

No comments:

Post a Comment