Sunday, May 8, 2016

Headlight Upgrade Installation

The HIDs are here! After using stock halogen sealed beams for more than a year. I have come into conclusion that stock sealed beams suck. In February I had seen a couple of people posting on the forum I go to, ratsun.net, about some new Dapper Lighting HID lights that are made for old cars like mine. I was interested so I pre-ordered them. They were release early May. I was one of the first to get them in my hands. The lights I chose were 6k 55w HID lights with a modern LED halo light on the outside. The low beams use HID bulbs while the high beams use halogen bulbs. The installation was fairly simple as the kit came with a plug and play harness. However, I have encountered a couple of problems such as blowing fuses. The halo lights were wired directly to the parking lights (which was not a good idea). I still have to find the problem of the fuse blowing. For now I'll put a bigger fuse on it. Here are some pics.

Here is a shot of the car with the stock lights on. This was shot right after I picked up the new HID lights. You can note that the old lights don't look very appealing in my opinion. They don't preform as well either. The high beams were not connected at that point.

 This is the box in which the HID's came in. Very nice packaging for the lights.

Lights straight out of the box, very sharp and nice. 
One last shot before the headlight installation.

As for the installation, I had to do this one by myself because my mentor wasn't available. I first removed the grill off the car. It was only two screws and two bolts that held the grill on. After that I removed the headlight bezel, exposing the two lights on each size. I noticed that one of the headlight rings was broken, thus creating a lot of play within one of the headlights. I had two extras so I swapped a newer one in. 



 The new lights were very simple to install, the wiring on the other hand was quite hard at first. However, I realized that everything was plug and play... It cleared up a lot of things. There was one thing that this kit had that a lot of other kits don't. That is the H4 to H11 plug. One thing that annoyed me was the halo lights. The way I installed it was very bad, a way I don't recommend. In the above picture you can see the orange turn signal. The turn signal was wired bad since I got it. If you hit the brake, the hazard lights go off. And when I tapped into the turn signal lights, every time I would brake, the halos would go off. But I swapped a bigger fuse and it fixed the problem, for now at least. Overall the installation for the HIDs was easy. I just need a fuse for the low beam to work. The following pictures are of the halo lights on.


The halo lights are so crisp and sharp that my camera can't even pick them up. In this entry I learned how to install HID lights. Since HID kits are all basically the same for every vehicle. 



No comments:

Post a Comment