Thursday, May 5, 2016

Steering Wheel Installation

Before I finished the interior, I forgot to mention that I installed a brand new Grant steering wheel. The old steering wheel was held on basically with one bolt. The old steering wheel was also very old, and when it would get hot, the black plastic would melt off and your hands would turn black. I choose the Grant steering wheel because it had a mix of vintage racing, and modern style wheel. The installation was quite a head hitter, literally. When I took out the first bolt, then the one that prevents the wheel from flying off, the steering wheel went flying into my head, and it hurt...

Old steering wheel.

Before anything, I called my mentor to see what to do, he told me to align the wheels as straight as possible. As you can see, there is one bolt holding the steering wheel. The larger bolt just prevents it from going into your face. I got a 10mm socket and took out the first bolt. Then I got a 4 way lug wrench to remove the 11/16 center bolt holding it together. It was on there quite nicely as it was hard to remove. After removing the bolt, I had also removed the hub adapter by using a hammer. 
Left old. Right new.

Here is how it looks w/o a hub. 


After setting the wheels straight before the procedure, I had then used a hammer to set the hub as flush as possible, without breaking anything. I also placed a piece of cloth between the hammer and the hub to prevent any damage. 


Now it was time to install the steering wheel, this time the right way. It helps to have aligned the wheels as straight as possible so your steering wheel isn't screwed up. 
The steering wheel installation is the same as the old one, however this time I needed to install a horn button. The horn is quite unless as you can barely hear them, so no need to install it. 
When I took this photo, the steering wheel was not aligned. I went back another day to straighten it out since the steering was screwed. 

Now for the final result. I have token a recent picture showing the carpet, seats, and steering wheel all installed. 

I will be taking some pictures of the current state of the project this Sunday. 





No comments:

Post a Comment